Academy Bans Will Smith From All Events For 10 Years For Slapping Chris Rock
Following the Academy’s decision, Will Smith told Page Six in a statement, “I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.”
“The Board of Governors has decided, for a period of 10 years, from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards,” they announced Friday per the outlet.
The statement continued, “We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters, and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast.”
Smith will get to keep his Best Actor Oscar for his role in King Richard.
Following the incident, Smith resigned from the Academy, “I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable,” he said in a statement.
Previously, the King Richard actor apologized to Rock. As of late, the comedian has not talked about the incident publicly.