Roger Daltrey: ‘Within The Next Five Years I Think My Voice Will Go’
Roger Daltrey was very candid in a new interview with Billboard and made a bold statement about the condition of his iconic voice.
“Obviously within the next five years I think my voice will go,” said Daltrey. “Age will get it in the end. It’s still there at the moment.”
And Daltrey seems to definitely be taking advantage of that moment in the form of the current “Moving On!” tour from The Who that sees he and Pete Townshend performing some of their biggest hits with orchestral accompaniment. The first leg North American leg of this tour took place in May, with the production now back in the U.K. for a July 6 show at Wembley Stadium before heading back to North American for the second leg starting in September.
Also in the works is a new Who album, their first since 2006’s Endless Wire. Daltrey says the album so far has nine tracks that are “absolutely fabulous” and “typical Townshend.” A title and release date are not currently known.
As far as other projects go not having to do with Daltrey’s voice, he said the Keith Moon biopic is still in the works and is expecting a new script from writer Jeff Pope soon.
Daltrey relayed that Pope said the Moon biopic is “the hardest project he’s ever worked on but he recognizes that if he can get it right it’ll be a film of significance, the antithesis of Bohemian Rhapsody.” Daltrey then went on to clarify about Bohemian Rhapsody, “The script was a little thin to my liking — very, very thin. But, listen, you can’t knock it. Look at the commercial success it was. And Rami Malek deserved to be rewarded. He did incredibly well with a thin script.”
Considering the Queen catalog generated $18 million in revenue in the six months after the release of Bohemian Rhapsody, you can’t blame Daltrey for wanting to get the script right.